Friday, June 17, 2011

The Enlightenment of a Simple Life

There's nothing like a vacation to help slow down life and do some soul searching.  We regularly take vacations and stay in condos at our destination.  This is one area we splurge on.  Pack a few books, spices, clothes and a journal and I'm set.

It's amazing how comforting an empty condo can be.  The kitchen drawers and cabinets are sparse but for the most part, I have everything I need.  The wall units, dresser drawers and closets are empty except for a few things we brought.  No overflowing cabinets with food, dishes, pans, utensils or medicine cabinets cluttered with who knows what.  In spite of this all, I find peace with just being there.  The condo allows us to live the simple life.  There is no time or room to accumulate a lot of "stuff".  Clutter is picked up quickly and never seems to pile up. 

I return home and see stacks everywhere.  Paper, laundry and the various items I have accumulated over the years sitting in or on desks, dressers, shelves, and closets, not to mention the basement.  In reality, many of these items are long forgotten.  I realize after spending a week on vacation, that although I am not a hoarder, I do have an excess.  It's nice but the truth is, it doesn't add extra joy to my life.

How did this happen?  I do box up items for charity on a regular basis.  The answer is a little bit at a time.  It's time to rethink what I want and what I need.  Vacations are wonderful.  Thanks to our wonderful getaway accommodations, I am enlightened to the possibilities of living a simpler life going forward. 

2 comments:

  1. Your writing is clear, fun and, yes, enlightening. A blog is the perfect vehicle for this Dottie. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny--we go to a timeshare condo and I'm just annoyed at how ill-equipped the kitchen is, even if it seems adequate to a normal person. I'm like, "Where's the zester?! Where's the pressure cooker?! Only one rubber scraper? This is madness!!" Although I totally appreciate leaving the sparse environment of a condo and returning to your house full of rubbish. It is always a little depressing to discover and rediscover how much STUFF you have )-:

    ReplyDelete