Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cabinet Inspiration

We have all been there.  There’s nothing in the house to eat either healthy or not healthy.  A trip to the grocery store is way over due and the family is grumbling.  The truth is that you don’t feel like shopping.  True, things look pretty grim around here but upon taking a second glance I find some treasures.  Marshmallows never used that were bought for a chocolate fondue.   Rice Krispies cereal that someone thought they wanted and then promptly decided it was not for them now just sits in the cabinet and probably will be for another year.  Wahlah!  What do I need for rice krispie treats?  These two ingredients plus butter.  I have it!  And thus we have some great junk food on hand totally unplanned for the week.  We are happy campers. 




After this revelation, I am reminded that we are out of wheat bread and it is critical to get to the store before the week starts because a day without wheat bread is a day without sunshine to some in my household.  Wait a minute…….Hold on……..I remember that I have wheat flour in the basement.  It’s something I bought a while back when I was totally inspired to make some wheat pita.  I know I bought everything I needed way back when but when was that?  Is it expired?  Can it still be used?  My objective isn’t to kill us all off.  To my delight, I find I am within the limits of the “its’safe to eat” status and I decide to play Martha Stewart for the day.  Oh, how fun it is this to be able to whip up a batch of wheat pita.  Wow!  Why didn’t I do this before?  It is totally simple and something I will do again especially since I have all the ingredients that are not used in any of my other recipes that I know of.  The recipe can be found on this blog and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Wheat Pita recipe

I’m out of time but I am sure to look for and report future occurrences of cabinet inspiration.  This I am sure because it’s like winning the lottery and we all know what a rush that can be.  I am thankful for the perception that our cupboard was bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment