Sunday, May 6, 2012

What on Earth......

As many of you know we recently celebrated Earth Day.  I have no idea why this special day always sneaks up on me but it does.  What's so strange about it is that it's one of my favorite days and yet I would be hard pressed to tell you it is in April.


My mind wants to blend it with Arbor Day but these two days are actually separate.  Arbor Day, as you may recall is all about planting.  In grade school we always received a tree to plant.  Earth Day, however, encompasses so much more.


The greatest thing about Earth Day is it brings out the best in people.  It's a day to recognize how each human being has an imprint and a huge impact on the Earth. (positive or negative)  My city hosted the most comprehensive recycling program and festival for Earth Day that I have ever seen.  In a matter of 24 hours I was able to fill up our car with an amazing amount of recyclables.  In one respect, I was amazed that I could come up with a car load in such a small amount of time.  Our family already recycles weekly on trash pickup days.


The vendors at this event were so much more encompassing than the weekly recycling bin will allow.  I managed to part with all of the following at one location:


  • Shoes for Shoeman.org
  • Styrofoam (Finally, someone is taking it!)
  • PVC pipe, conduit, lamp globes, shelves,  closet hanging rods, tile edge plates, shower rods all for Habitat for Humanity
  • fabric
  • stuffed animals
  • plastic bags
  • old medicine - prescription and non prescription
  • school posters
  • children's books
  • curtain rods, old blinds
  • an old microwave, an old cd drive, a game controller no longer in working order
  • several old VCR tapes (as many as I could get by removing from our house without hearing from the peanut gallery)
  • christmas tree lights
  • cfl light bulbs (they don't last as long as they advertise)
  • several rechargeable batteries

There were even more unusual items being recycled at this event. Musical instruments, jewelry,  bikes or bike parts, and yard waste to name a few of the items. The list was pretty extensive.  If you are interested in growing earth day in your area, you may want to look at this website.  http://www.stlouisearthday.org/2011/12/earth-day-recycling-extravaganza/  



As I approached the recycling event, I was instantly pleased and energized with all the like minded people.  I wondered how many were people like me and how many were first time recyclers.  The phrase "If you build it, they will come." repeated in my mind.  Dropping my treasures off at each truck and gathering information was unbelievably fun and rewarding.  

Upon dropping off fabric I learned of another place that recycles fabric into paper and how strips of wool can be composted.  After talking to a vendor who collected bikes and bike parts I learned of a wonderful training program where kids learn all about building and fixing bikes and then choose one at the end of the program.  I was able to drop off old medicines (some from 2005!) and keep them out of our earth and ground water.  This is the vendor I have been searching for quite a long time to meet.  Kudos to them.  

Although I recycle any plastic bags we may have at the grocery store, I was able to stop and talk to the vendor collecting plastic bags.  We talked about how many bags are not labeled and how difficult it is to know exactly what bags are actually acceptable in the bins.  Of course the best thing to do is avoid obtaining them all together but in my world, that hasn't been  accomplished yet.   Click here to get a comprehensive list.  Guide to recycling plastic bags.  In an effort to understand and get a better understanding why we should avoid one use plastics all together, I would recommend the documentary Bag It that you can obtain from your local library. 

All in all I couldn't be more proud of our city for putting on such a spectacular event.  If only we could have an Earth Day every quarter.  Until then, I encourage you to set aside a corner in your garage for recyclable items not collected weekly.  Then seek out events and locations waiting to turn your junk to treasures.  The reward, priceless!

1 comment:

  1. You are one amazing, resourceful sister, Dottie! Earth Day slid past me barely noticed (although I do avidly recycle). I'll definitely pay more attention next year and see what's happening in Houston. (Julie, the anonymous profiler)

    ReplyDelete