Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lessons from My Sock Drawer

My dedicated sock drawer is always brimming but I can’t find what I want.  We all do it.  We all have our prized possessions, our favorites.  In the case of socks, I have found that more is not better.  Evaluating the drawer, I find socks that are too big, too small, rough or lifeless with no stretch left in sight.  Socks with holes, faded socks and socks pretending they are white and it would be criminal to fail to mention socks without mates. 

Before - I can never find socks that fit or I like.
How did I get into this overpopulated, overrated sock situation?  The answer my friends is simply a lack of awareness, a lack of planning and if I have to be truthful, it's the result of trying to get the best deals when buying.  (aka – cheap)

As I sort through the socks I start to think.  What is it I like about these socks?  How do I feel when I wear them?  Do I ever wear these?  Are they mine?  Do others think they’re mine?  (aka – they passed them on for better things and emptied their drawers into mine?)

I find that my favorite socks have these qualities.  They are soft, have massaging qualities, tended not to be bought in bulk, are the right color, fit the season – longer style for the winter and hiking, and shorter no show for summer.  Most importantly, they are the right size. 


Any ankle height socks usually double as slippers, rags, and last resort choices.  I have a pair of hiking socks I paid $8 for.  I love them, always know where they are and wear them with confidence. 

I have white socks that I favor as well.  It’s time to have a meeting and a sock purge.  After all, how many pair of socks do I need?  There are seven days a week and we do laundry at least 3 – 4 times within the week. 

Sock Purge  - And I bet I don't miss them!
I am starting off my year with a sock purge and a vow not to keep buying in bulk to get more bang for my buck.  In the case of socks, less is more.  The cost is the same but the psychology behind it is such a reward. 

My feet deserve better than bulk socks.  My sock drawer will no longer be a symbol of everything I don’t want in life in volume.  Instead, it will radiate order, balance and a person that knows what she wants and needs. 

After the purge.  
Do you have a sock drawer to tend to this year?  Time to sit down and make a realistic plan of what really makes you happy.  It’s time to clean out and prioritize.  I am fortunate enough to have entered into the New Year with a new outlook on what I own and what I need, want and how I will execute my desires.  There are times when less (quantity) is more and more (cost) is less.

Lesson learned, January 2012

3 comments:

  1. Aunt Dottie! I just did a sock purge today and it felt so good. I said to myself "why do I even own these socks? I do not enjoy putting them on." But now I need to go buy some more socks :)

    Love,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh! Here's to the great socks in your future. Go forth and be wise! You may want to wait until after the move. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this piece! How many pairs of socks does one REALLY need? Seems like I have my favorites, too, and the others.... waiting patiently for me to put them on when I am painting the house or doing some other imagined dirty work. Doesn't happen often. Our recycling program takes rags and old clothes/socks, etc as long as they are clean. So I can feel good about moving them somewhere other than the trash!

    ReplyDelete