Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Library

I have always been one to use the library but really more on a sporadic basis than regularly.  Any time I went to look at the movies, I was less than inspired to pick one up and bring one home.  At the same time, we don’t usually go to the theatre to see the new releases so I do not always keep up with the current movies.  Of course, this was the same for the top selling books.  As usual, people do not change their habits overnight but the fact that our local movie store, which we had an online subscription, closed forced me to make a change.  Not really wanting to drive to return movies or exchange them at the next nearest location, I started wondering if I could be happy renting movies online, from a kiosk or from the library.

My preferred choice was the library since movies could be checked out for 7 days as opposed to 24 hours and the price was right.   It just so happened that the Oscars were on TV so I started with that bit of information.  The next day, I did a search on the Oscar winners and compiled a list of movies for my wish list. 


Wordle: Library99



I logged into the library and did a search on these movies only to find that they did not have most of them.  What I did find out was that there is a section on the website called upcoming DVD’s which are DVD’s on order and how many they will receive.  I quickly found about three fourths of the movies on my list and requested them on line.  To put things in perspective, I may be the 500-700th person in a queue for these movies but many times the library was receiving 80-120 copies. 

At the same time,
I started actively reserving books on line and picking them up from the library.  I found this such a time saver.  As of September 10th, I have checked out 38 books and 32 movies from the local library.  My total overdue fines for the year come to a mere $7- $8.  It’s amazing because that was at least one months charge just for the movie subscription we had.  In addition, we are watching more movies than we ever did before.  I log in periodically and add new movies to the list and enjoy requesting books as well.

The library has enriched my life this year tenfold.  I have found time to slow down, reduce my clutter around the house, and enjoy browsing through cookbooks or reading a novel while saving money at the same time.  It has helped me change my priority to take time out for me.  After all, if I am half way through a book and it is due but has a hold on it, I can’t renew it.  Instead, I just spend a day of leisure reading and get that book back.  I have learned that the house doesn’t fall apart because of this.  If I get a notice that a movie has arrived, I pick it up on a Friday and plan a movie night.  Life is good.  I have become a lot more flexible. 

Checking out exercise videos  is also fun.  The library provides me with a variety of videos to “try out.”  Generally, the quest to get fit comes and goes and so the library is a great resource to test how serious I am and to keep things different and interesting.    

I can’t believe I haven’t taken full advantage to what our library offers.  I know they have computer classes and other meetings and speakers of interest, books on tape, electronic books, and music.  They also rent electronic games for the kids.   The best part is that it is free.  Although I do have a small number of overdue fines for the year, I am more than happy to pay them.  My house is cleaner and my life is definitely better.  The best part is that it fits my lifestyle and it’s here to stay.

2 comments:

  1. The only downside to library DVD rentals is that if they've been checked out hundreds of times, the condition is poor. This means you get halfway through the movie and it freezes. For new releases we maintain our Netflix account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our library allows us to request upcoming DVDs. For the most part, these are the DVDs I am requesting. I am usually between the 7th - 10th person viewing these movies so we don't have the problem that you are mentioning. Yes, we have to wait a bit longer to see the newest movies but it is well worth it. See if your library has this option. If so, you will love it.

    ReplyDelete